<< Gallery\\ The Events in the life of Buddha Sakyamuni
1. Teaching in the Tusita Heaven, anticipating the descent to Earth.
2. The White Elephant Dream, Maya Felt the Conception of the Buddha.
3. Lumbini Park, the Birth of the Buddha.
4. Astrology Reading, Prophecy of Buddhahood.
There are numerous paintings and sculptures that depict the life of Buddha Sakyamuni.
All the photographs shown below were shot in Yuanheng Temple, Kaoshiong. Yuanheng
Temple was built in the reign of Emperor Qianglong of the Qing dynasty. It is one
of the few remaining historical temples in Taiwan. Its original name Yuanxing Temple
has since been changed to Yuanheng Temple. The style of the architectural design
was delicately simple and subtly elegant. In 1973, Venerable Pumiao led followers
to finish the building of the main cultivation hall where the main statue of Buddha
Shakyamuni is respectfully placed. On the inside and outside of the main hall, there
are sculptures of the life of the Buddha. There are thirty-two sculptures in total.
All the sculptures were created in style that portray solemn magnificance.
Of the thirty-two sculptures, the 24th and 27th are partly hidden from the camera
due to their location. Hence the sculptures were created in styles that portray solemn
The Editors ~ The Events of the Life of Buddha Shakyamuni.
5. Naming Ceremony, the First Offering to the Field of Blessings.
6. Master of Civil and Military Affairs, Champion of All India.
7. Wedding of the Prince; Princess Yasodhara with the Prince.
8. At the Four Gates, the Prince Witnessed the Four Miseries.
9. Biding Farewell to his son and wife Prince Siddhartha leaving
10. Riding on a Starry Night in Search of the Truth.
11. Cutting Off His Hair, Prince Siddhartha Renounced the Secular
World and put on the Robe of a Mendicant.
12. With Determination, the Prince Lived Six Years in Austerity.
13. The Prince wiping off the dust and washing away the dirt,
the Shepherdess offering rice milk.
14. Misunderstanding the Prince, the five attendants left him.
15. Vowing to attain Buddhahood, the Prince conquered the
army of Demons.
16. Looking up at the Bright Stars, he became the Fully